Skip to content

Language Proof if you are 18-54 years of age

February 18, 2014

Select one of the following types of proof to submit with your application:

  1. Results of a CIC-approved third-party test at the equivalent of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)[Note 1] level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills done previously for immigration purposes (even expired) or done specifically for citizenship purposes only. Test results from the following list are acceptable:
    • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General test (CELPIP-G), (not the academic version)  You must have achieved a score of:
      • 2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in speaking and listening; or
      • CELPIP-General LS – a two-skills (listening and speaking) version of the CELPIP general test You must have achieved a score of:2H or higher (3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5 or 6) in listening and speaking; or
    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have achieved a score of:
      • 4.0 or higher in speaking, and
      • 4.5 or higher in listening.  (If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher); or
    • Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF)  You must have achievied a score of :
      • B1 or higher (B2, C1 or C2) in listening and speaking; or
    • Test d’Évaluation du Français adapté au Québec (TEFAQ) or TEF épreuves orales.  You must have achieved  a score of:
      • B1 or higher (B2, C1 or C2)

      The following list of proof will be accepted only if used for Quebec immigration purposes in the past:

      • DALF (Diplôme approfondi de langue française) – All results or
      • DELF (Diplôme d’études en langue française) – B1 or higher or
      • TCF (Test de connaissance du français) – B1 or higher or
      • TCFQ (Test de connaissance du français pour le Québec) – B1 or higher
  2. Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:
    • A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
    • A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.

    Note:You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement.  The diploma, certificate or transcript should be in English or French.  The document must clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction.  If the original document is not in English or French then you must also include a letter in English or French from the institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with a translation of the original document.

  3. Proof of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveau de competence linguistique canadien(CLB/NCLC) level 4 or higher in speaking and listening skills through certain government-funded language training programs are:
    • For Manitoba: Progress report from Manitoba government issued since January 2009. Ensure your report indicates speaking and listening skills are at least at “completing CLB/NCLC level 4” or higher.
    • For Quebec: Bulletins by the Ministère de l’immigration et Communautés culturelles Québec (MICC)

      Version issued since June 2001. Ensure that your most recent assessment in “ interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or

      Version issued since October 2012:

      • 1.  Bulletin showing results in “interaction orale”.  Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise); or
      • 2. Bulletin issued since October 16th, 2012 showing results in “interaction orale” OR showing results in both “comprehension orale” and “production orale”only.  Usually, these start with the course code FIA Ensure that your most recent assessment in “interaction orale” OR both “comprehension orale” and “production orale” is at least level 4 (Échelle québécoise)
      • NOTE:  Bulletin with results from online FEL (Francisation en ligne) classes are not acceptable for citizenship purposes, e.g. these usually have a course code B or FEL.
    • For British Columbia (BC):
      • If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training in 2008 and 2009, an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher.
      • If you received British Columbia’s English Language Services for Adults (ELSA) training since 2010, an ELSA report card or an ELSA certificate confirming language level CLB 4 or higher
    • For Ontario:  Ontario Provincial Language Training Certificate issued by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) funded language training providers (school boards) in or afterDecember 2013.  Ensure your Ontario MCI Adult Non-Credit language training program certificate indicates achievement of level CLB/NCLC 4 or higher, in speaking and listening.  These certificates must be for:
      • English as a Second Language (ESL)/Anglais Langue Seconde (ALS)
      • French as a Second Language (FSL)/Français Langue Seconde (FLS)
      • Citizenship and Language Training (CL)/Instruction civique et enseignement de la langue (ICEL)
    • Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC or CLIC): Check the box if you successfully completed the course at CLB4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 2008 to October 31, 2012 and provide a copy of the certificate if available. If you successfully completed the LINC or CLIC course since November 1st, 2012, a certificate will be provided to you. A copy of this certificate is required. Note that completion of LINC or CLIC before 2008 does not qualify for proof of language ability.

If you are deaf, and can provide one of the upfront proofs of language ability for citizenship (described in 1 to 3 above), please do so.  If you are not able to provide such evidence, you must provide other supporting documents to assist decision makers in understanding the basis of your claim.  The accepted supporting evidence is an audiogram issued by a Canadian audiologist, with a letter issued by the same audiologist attesting that you are deaf and have severe to profound hearing loss, with little or no residual hearing, including an explanation as to whether, and to what extent this impacts your ability to listen and/or speak.

Note: If you do not have acceptable language proof to submit with your application or do not have the required language level, you may choose to take an acceptable third-party test by enrolling in a government-funded language program that would provide acceptable certification. Certificates from these government funded language training programs cannot be used as proof of education for your citizenship application (seeSection 4 Education Records)


If you have a disorder, disability or condition that is cognitive, psychiatric or psychological in nature which prevents you from submitting upfront proof of language ability for citizenship, you must provide supporting documentary evidence to assist decision makers in understanding the basis of your claim.

[1] The Canadian Language Benchmark/Niveau de compétence linguistique canadien is the national standard used in Canada for describing, measuring and recognizing the English language proficiency of adult immigrants and prospective immigrants for living and working in Canada. It provides a descriptive scale of communicative proficiency in English or French as a second language, expressed as benchmarks or reference points. [back to note 1]

CLB/NCLC 4 is considered “Basic Proficiency” and means that an individual being tested who “meets” CLB 4:

  • take part in short, routine conversations about everyday topics
  • understand simple instructions and directions
  • use basic grammar, including simple structures and tenses in oral communication
  • use vocabulary that is adequate for routine oral communication

Format: Clear and legible photocopy. Must be in English or French. No translations accepted except for foreign diplomas, certificates or transcripts (see note above in section 2).

3. Biographical page of Passport(s)/Travel Document(s)

The biographical page means the page where it has your name, photo, passport/travel document no., issue date and expiration date.

Provide photocopies of the biographical pages of all passports and/or travel documents (valid and cancelled) for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application,

Also, provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s).

Note: If any of these documents are no longer in your possession please explain why.

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

4. Education Records

Provide photocopies of all your official education records  if you attended an educational institution  in the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application. Official education records are:

  • report cards; or
  • transcripts; or
  • attendance records

The education records must cover each calendar year, if applicable.  It is sufficient to submit one official education document per calendar year of schooling during the relevant four (4) year period. Note: You are not required to submit proof of attendance at English/French as a second language training programs.

In addition, provide photocopies of official education records for all children in Canada or abroad who were under the age of 18 in the last four (4) years immediately before the date of your application even if you are not applying for Canadian citizenship on their behalf.  You must also provide documents for any children who are already Canadian citizens, if applicable.  

Note: Student identification cards and letters from institutions, teachers, principals are not accepted as official education records. For example, an official transcript from an educational institution would satisfy this requirement. A letter from an institution is only acceptable in the following two circumstances:

  1. Child has recently enrolled in school and a report card has not yet been issued
  2. Child is being homeschooled (see below)

Format: Clear and legible photocopy


Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: